View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 08:16 PM  
LokiWolf
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Hamster not afraid of cat

When I still had my hamsters they lived in my room where my cat, Zim, spends most of his time. He adored my hamsters (he was actually terrified at first, thinking a tiny hamster would break out and attack him; he's a lover not a fighter), he would watch them and try interacting with them through the glass of the tank. If any of my parents' cats came in and so much as looked at the hamsters funny, Zim would chase them off which was out of character for him but he was very protective of the hamsters. Most of my hamsters ignored him as he wasn't viewed as a threat since they were well secured in locking tanks, but one of them was different.

She was my first hamster, a Robo named Charlotte. She was very depressed in beginning as she was very lonely but somehow she struck up a relationship with Zim through the glass. He would come up to the glass and when she noticed him, she would come over to where he was, she never did this to any other cat and not even with me. I never got any pictures but sometimes when Zim would come to the glass he would put his paw up on the glass and she would come over to the other side of the glass and put her paws up on the glass where his paw was. Even when I got Charlotte a cagemate, which cured her depression and loneliness, she would continue to interact with Zim through the glass. When Charlotte died, Zim was depressed and mourned the loss of his friend. When the rest of my hamsters died and I removed all my cages, he was very upset.

All hamsters and cats are different however. When keeping any animal with another in the same household, you need to monitor the behavior of both to make sure no one is stressed out or in danger.