View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 03:16 PM  
Shadokat
Newborn Pup

Default Re: New hairless hamster with URI

To everyone who has replied so far, thanks!

I read about thyme tea so I'm looking for fresh thyme in stores. I am considering this only for symptom relief, not a permanent solution. I also read in another thread that I could put a dab of Vicks vapo-rub on something near the cage to help her breathe easier. I know not to use too much to overwhelm her senses, and not to let her touch it. She seems to have found the warmest heated spot and has moved her nest to the front of the cage, where she looks very relaxed and comfortable. Even with the very small things I've done, her breathing isn't as noisy and she seems to feel better. She's less active than a well hamster but definitely not lethargic. When she's asleep, I can't hear her breathing. It's only when she's up moving around that she gets sniffly. She was just now rummaging through her food bowl but didn't eat anything. I offered her more applesauce and she ate a little. It's the second time today that I've given it to her and she seems to enjoy it. She's also had some small pieces of banana and last night I gave her a tiny piece of my buttered toast. She likes that and I'm willing to spoil her a bit to get her to eat. I scruffed her neck a bit and the skin fell back into place so I don't think she's dehydrated. The bottom line - she's holding her own and I'm confident that she'll be fine once I can get her to the vet. I'll look for that list of safe baby food and get some for her. I believe she is hungry but not for crunchy things. I'm not going to let her starve. We're moving forward. Thanks again for the advice... I'll take as much as I can get. And I'll keep you posted.
Shadokat is offline   Reply With Quote