View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 11:04 PM  
Shadokat
Newborn Pup

Unhappy New hairless hamster with URI

Hi folks!

A relative of mine was visited by animal control and told that her menagerie of small animals was illegal. She had to quickly find homes for several hamsters, and I've taken on three. One of these little beauties is a Syrian hairless female. I'm absolutely in love with her but she arrived with some problems.

She makes little wheezing sounds all the time and I think she has a URI. She was previously kept in aspen bedding but I've housed her with kaytee natural paper bedding, paper towels, and some soft little blankets & mats. She's a very sweet little lady, active with her ears up all the time, but I can tell she's got something wrong. Taking her to the vet will happen but it's not an option for several days due to money. In the meantime I want to try to alleviate her symptoms. I've put a heating pad on low under the cage where she sleeps. What can I do to relieve what sounds like sniffling and a bit of coughing?

I'm also worried about her eyes, which seem to be stuck closed. I don't see any discharge but her eyes aren't round and wide open like most hamsters. Can I do something without injuring her to help her to be able to open her eyes?

Yes, everyone, she will go to the vet. But they won't see her without money, which I won't have for a week. I'm asking how to help her feel better in the meantime. She's climbing the cage bars and sitting in her hammock asking for help and it's breaking my heart. I have a little money on hand but not enough for the vet visit.

I do have some baytril 20mg capsules but I have no idea how to mix them to give her a safe dose. But if anyone can help me there, maybe I can get some remedy going before the vet?

I'm an experienced hamster keeper but have never had a hairless one. I know how to administer meds and give basic first aid but for the most part my little ones have always been healthy. That doesn't diminish my desire to help my sick new baby.

Thanks in advance everyone. My little warrior's name is Nymeria and I want to help her get better. Please help if you can!
Shadokat is offline   Reply With Quote