Thread: I love bambi
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 06:06 PM  
AprilPearl
Hamster Hugger

Default Re: I love bambi

I have to say that I agree with Drago. This is why I find it very upsetting when people complain about or get rid of their hamsters because "he/she doesn't love me!!" (Usually said in a tone of shocked indignation) as though said hamster is a faulty toy which has failed to deliver on a an advertised feature.

Hamsters are either solitary or do not need to live in groups and even the species which can live communally probably don't love one another. So, as Drago says, I don't think the emotion of love would serve a purpose for them. So, they don't need companionship emotionally in the first place. Add to that the fact that they are prey animals and therefore naturally cautious and it becomes astounding that they will even allow themselves to be handled. In fact, you would really expect them to run for the hills, as is their instinct!

Having said all that, we are certainly capable of loving them and if they choose to reciprocate our patience and kindness by trusting us then that is amazing. Clearly Bambi trusts you, which is something I don't think you should ever expect from any hamster, taking into account their evolutionary background and instincts, despite the fact that most hamsters can be tamed. So, bear in mind how special it really is that she doesn't fear you and in fact associates you with good things! That is a testament to what a great owner you are.

And who knows, maybe I am wrong and cynical. Maybe hamsters can love. But, I'd expect that love to be more within their species. I'm not even sure at times that hamsters realise we are any more than a big climbing frame! And even if they do recognise us as being alive, can they really know that we are sentient beings with thoughts and feelings? That is quite a complex thought to grasp for such a tiny critter.

Many philosophical questions here! I think it's time someone did a study