View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 06:46 AM  
Angelthehamster
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Hamster trying to escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
The Silent Runner can be a bit tricky to find,as it is online exclusive(not ever sold in pet stores,but it would be nice if it were!)and even then not every website will have it.

Silent Runner Wheel 9" - Exotic Nutrition

I don't know for sure if that is the only source in the US,but it is the most well known.

Basically aim for little to know areas with open space.That is one of the most important things to do with hamster cages,which can be accomplished with things mentioned.From what I've seen there doesn't appear to be much enrichment or roof cover(I could be wrong though,but there's almost always room for extra enrichment!).

I'd consider either eliminating the second floor or finding a safer way to give access to that.Tubes can lead to many problems including health problems and as with any plastic as mentioned should be avoided,but there could be some sort of DIY ramp(make sure there's no gaps and the material is only safe and natural,use Elmer's glue where necessary)system to get up to that portion of the cage.It would fall under the category of a modular addition though and therefore would not be too beneficial compared to a somewhat larger(not a massive amount larger,but a slight difference in cage size could still help overall with the potential for more enrichment and therefore potential to eliminate this bad behavior).
I was thinking of doing a ramp at the beginning, but the only problem with it is that the ramp would take up a lot more space than I'd like. The bottom half of the cage is 2 feet wide 1 foot long and 1 foot high, what angel should I put the ramp at, but also not take too much space. And so that she can still climb up it? Also there is a cover on the top, I assure you of that. There are covers on all the holes, no way to escape.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Angelthehamster is offline   Reply With Quote