View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 03:31 PM  
velma

Default Re: End of life decisions.

It's such a hard time, isn't it? I lost my elderly syrian Cleo to old age. She was slowing down for quite a long time but was fine. She didn't have a tumour she just got very old & wobbley. She got thin & her kidneys weren't doing their best. Luckily I had a small cage to put her to keep everything close for her and she had stopped using her wheel a while beforehand. I kept trying to work out what to do for the best but I believe that they let you know when they're ready to go & when they want a bit more time with you. Cleo really didn't do much beyond slowly getting up (and yes, towards the end that meant waking her up just to check) and she didn't eat as much but she did eat & she drank fine and most importantly for me, she stayed interested - she'd toddle up to see what treat I had for her that day. The day before she passed away she began losing interest so I thought I'd get her through the weekend and take her to the vet in the Monday but she had other ideas and passed away on the Friday anyway. I'm quite grateful that I didn't have to make that decision but I know that I would have taken her in as it would have been the right thing to do by her. I know this is a story about me & not your situation but we all know our hams best & what they are trying to tell us so I can't tell you what to do but i can tell you I understand & that you'll know the right thing to do whichever way it goes. As soufflé says: no decision made out of love is the wrong one.
velma is offline   Reply With Quote