View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 08:20 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster Heaven or Alaska?

It might depend which wheel you've got and the size of your hamster An 11" wodent wheel can be hung upside down in the Hamster Heaven (safer and sturdier and spins better) and leave a reasonably bit of substrate under the wheel. It is about the smallest 11" wheel there is in terms of compactness. Any wheel bigger than that and I wouldn't go for the Hamster Heaven. The big front door of the HH is lovely and the cage well made. The front door makes interaction good and makes a kind of ramp when open. I also like being able to hang things from the roof. I wouldn't use it with the shelves and tubes though - maybe one of the shelves. You can use a couple of the tubes inside the cage as floor toys though but I wouldn't have them as external ones or in a run.

I haven't had an Alaska - it's a popular cage for a Syrian. It's a little bit longer (about 4cm which is almost 2 inches) and a little bit less deep (about 2cm) so the floorspace is slightly better. It is about 46cm tall (as opposed to the HH which is 38cm tall max) so easier to have a cage mounted large wheel and still have space for substrate underneath. If the wheel is floorstanding the height doesn't really make much difference.

What size is your hammy? We had a huge Syrian and I found a cage the size of the Hamster heaven was too cramped because he needed really big stuff! An average sized Syrian would be fine. I upgraded to the 100cm Barney cage which is good for a Syrian.

If you want a front opening door and can fit a 100cm cage in I would also suggest looking at the Savic Hamster Plaza - although it costs more than either the Alaska or HH.

https://www.zoo-bio.co.uk/savic/2208...aza-knock-down

They are tricky decisions. I went for a cage the size of the Hamster Heaven thinking it was huge. I had to move our room around to fit it in. By the time I'd rearranged the room I actually had space for a 100cm cage and regretted not getting one in the first place as I ended up then buying another cage and upgrading after a while!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote