View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: End of life decisions.

Hi. Yes we had something like this this year with our Syrian. It does sound like she is near her time. If she just wants to sleep that is fine. You could move her food bowl and water very near her nest so it's easier for her to reach. You might need to have a dish for water as well as a bottle (I used both as our hamster, however weak, preferred the bottle to the dish).

The fact that she is taking food and water means she is still trying to live out her life. I think unless you think she is really suffering or in pain, then just leave her to be comfortable. Is she still leaving her nest to pee somewhere? Try not to disturb her too much and avoid clean outs. You can keep talking to her - tell her it's ok to go if she is ready and that you love her and anything else really.

It's a hard time, but she is comfortable in her home with you it sounds. It is a time thing really. I thought our hammy would pass in his nest but he lingered on for a very long time and eventually was unconscious and had a prolapse - and at that point I decided to take him to the vets in case he was suffering. It was still a hard decision. He still enjoyed food right up to the point he became unconscious.

Give her whatever she likes now - little extras or treats near her nest maybe. A bit of fruit or veg or a cornflake or chocolate treat, or whatever, as well as her hamster mix. Also you can offer baby food which is easier to eat. I used to use the baby food lids as mini food dishes and have two or three next to the house entrance. One with a bit of soaked hamster mix, one with baby food, one with some treats and also his regular food bowl with dry hamster mix.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote