View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 07:16 AM  
SabreRose
Hamster Pup

Default End of life decisions.

I've made a couple of posts about my 2 year old Syrian but for the sake of this, my little Syrian girl is in a bad way.
She has a lump that the vet want sure about but said is most likely a tumour (he advised not doing surgery because of her age) and that was ok because for a while she was fine. Still as active. Didn't seem to be in pain. Just as normal.

But things have really changed. She's stopped using her wheel. Doesn't go up to the top part of her cage anymore and pretty much sleeps all the time. I've had to wake her most nights to see if she's still there (which I try not to do because I feel awful waking her) and even then I notice it's very hard for her to wake up. She used to come running out to investigate any noise and now nothing. I've noticed she's not taking much from her bowl either. And when she comes out to drink. It's laboured and slow.

I hate to see her like this but I don't know what to do. I mean the vet told me to watch her and see if she'd show any signs of going downhill and we'd go from there but, reading between the lines I think we know what that means.
I don't want to rush her to the vet because I know I might not come home with her.
But as much as I'd hate that, I don't know if it's best for her. I mean, is she really living now?
But then, why should I decide for her? I know she can't decide for herself but i don't know what to do.

Has anyone been in this situation with a hamster? How did you decide? Or should I just let her live and go when it's her time?

Sorry if asking is too personal. I understand if this isn't something anyone wants to revisit.

Thanks anyway xx
SabreRose is offline   Reply With Quote