View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 12:00 PM  
Crystalroborovski
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Are dwarf hamsters best kept alone?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone to keep a pair of dwarves in the same cage (I sound like a hypocrite because I did it myself but after my experience with that whole situation my views on keeping pairs has made a complete 180). It is just extremely stressful- the fact that you could wake up to one of your hamsters killing the other (or one of them being extremely injured or already dead because its cagemate killed it) is very nerve wracking.

Whenever my pair of robos began falling out I was so stressed and didn't want to fall asleep because of the reason I just explained. And it didn't help that my family was pressuring me to keep them together "because they're fine" or "because they're not killing each other." I noticed Key Lime was always more dominant over his brother, Tangerine, but in the week leading up to their separation Key Lime started seriously bullying his cagemate. He would attack Tangerine out of the blue and their squabbling turned into serious fighting. Tangerine was just not himself whenever Key Lime was bullying him. He was very skittish, afraid to walk by his brother, constantly hiding, inactive and he seemed very depressed. About a week into their falling out I woke up at 3:00 in the morning to hear very loud squealing coming from the boys' cage. Key Lime was viscously attacking his brother- it was an awful sight to see and one I wouldn't wish on anybody. I took Tangerine out of the cage and the next day I built him a bin cage. Now he is more confident and playful and Key Lime seems sweeter- not so aggressive.

So in the end I wouldn't recommend keeping pairs mainly because it is so stressful, for both the owner and the hamsters. I had my reasons for getting two hamsters instead of one, but I was too stubborn to listen to the people on this forum who were advising me to not get a pair.

❤️Mommy to Key Lime and Tangerine, my two fur babies❤️
Crystalroborovski is offline   Reply With Quote