View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 03:54 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Opinions on Savic Hamster heaven

Attachment 41707

I had the Savic Mickey 2XL for a while - which is identical to the hamster heaven other than it has smaller bar spacing and doesn't come with the shelves and tubes - it's a plain cage (it did come with a wire grid shelf which I removed as it's not safe for hamsters). I ended up using a large house with a flat roof as a platform So it did two things - made a nice house for nesting and also a bit of a shelf. I also had a small shelf in one corner. They do seem to like to sit underneath a shelf sometimes. It was a little lava ledge I had in the corner, next to his house roof, so he could use it to climb on, and then into his sputnik from there, so it was like a step. That was for a syrian but a similar idea could be used for a dwarf hamster. Most houses aren't that tall so don't make much of a shelf. You could maybe leave one of the shelves in, rather than buy a new one, but frankly the one I bought (which is the solid shelf from the Hamster Heaven) I ended up taking out again as it was a total pain! It has a hump in the middle and a food pot in one corner. Our hammy decided the food pot was a toilet as it was in a corner and kept missing it so pee used to run down the shelf (the hump gave it a good slope to run down). Also the little houses on the shelves are a bit small for nesting and are solid underneath so sweat and get smelly and need cleaning out too often (hammies don't like their nests being removed). And then the ladder broke. So I gave up on it. I did use one of the little houses from the shelf in the pet carrier and as a toy in a playpen.

This is what the HH would look like (similar to Fluffagrams photo) set up like that

Last edited by Pebbles82; 11-26-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote