View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 09:23 AM  
Crystalroborovski
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Psychology of pet owners

I am not a physiologist either but here is what I've gathered from what I've heard and read from irresponsible breeders or people who just want to breed without doing any research:

1. They want cute babies. They see pictures of one month old hamsters and want some so they breed their hams.

2. They want to make money off of selling the pups (yet they probably don't know how monetarily draining breeding is!)

3. They love their hamster's coloration and/or personality so they want more hamsters with the same physical and behavioral traits.

4. They think it is "cruel" to keep their female from having babies because "it is their nature" or "they want to take care of their offspring and humans are cruel from preventing them from doing that." I've heard this one a lot, on YouTube especially.

5. Entertainment. This reason for breeding really bothers me- people think it's "fun to watch"- especially during mating if the male is smaller than the female or the two hamsters fight when they are put together.

6. They think it would be funny if their male hamster got a "girlfriend."

7. They want to "see what happens" if they put two hamsters together. I guess this is kind of like reason #5.

I am not directing this towards anybody at all and I don't mean it to be judgemental, but i just tried to look through the eyes of a backyard breeder or a hamster owner who knows little to nothing about breeding. It makes me very sad whenever people bring more pups into the world without having an ethical reason to do so.

❤️Mommy to Key Lime and Tangerine, my two fur babies❤️
Crystalroborovski is offline   Reply With Quote