View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 09:44 AM  
AprilPearl
Hamster Hugger

Default Re: Mineral/salt stones

I wouldn’t want you to go against what your vet had told you to do. I think the no mineral stone thing is to stop a hamster getting an imbalance, by taking in too much extra on top of what they need (which should be amply supplied in the main food). If the vet thinks Isa’s loose jaw is down to having a deficiency (because she needs more minerals) then that would suggest that her food may not have everything she needs in it. I know that none of the pellet foods available for syrians are any good - only Harry hamster muesli is of a good enough quality and that is not pelleted. So, I assume (especially considering your avatar) that Isa is not a syrian - I am thinking a robo? I have never had a robo, so I can’t say what food is best for them, but perhaps if you say what you are feeding then someone else can advise. Was the vet a small animal expert? I think one of the problems with mineral stones is that you can’t control exactly how much they eat. A hamster might need more minerals, but chew/lick the stone too much and therefore end up with a dangerous excess. In my experience, though, the problem is usually that hamsters will ignore them! So, if she does need more minerals, you might think that by providing a mineral stone you have solved the issue when in fact you have not! A better way of getting more minerals in would be to feed supplements. Or, maybe even a good quality probiotic, if that would help. That way you know she is getting not too much and not too little. Did the vet say what exactly she is deficient in?
AprilPearl is offline   Reply With Quote