View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 06:37 PM  
Drago
The Hamtologist

Default Re: The Mousey thread

Thank you all, I'm loving these three!
To answer the inquiries I've gotten on their tails, they are very smooth and silky. They're not cold like gerbil tails are. They're also very prehensile and will hook around my finger when they climb on my hand which is irresistibly cute!
All three have names! Shrew obviously is still Shrew, the orange and white one is now named Honey-Whiskey or Whiskey (/Whisky, I spell it with an e for some odd reason!) and the red eyed mouse is now name Mishka. All three are absolute sweethearts, but are all polar opposites! Whiskey is very outgoing and energetic- running everywhere constantly. Shrew is a little sweetheart, she is curious and loves to curl up on your hand and explore in your sleeves. Mishka is a shy little mouse, she rarely comes out when I'm around, and will hide whenever I approach. I'm trying hard to earn her trust!
Here's some pics from today's playtime

Whiskey!

Shrew being adorable as usual

Shy Mishka never plucks up the courage to play I wish I could help her become more confident..

The neighbors shared some toys with the mice

Taming is going... well it's going. Whiskey is skittish when lifted, but loves sitting on my shoulder and climbing all over my hands. She however, has developed a bad habit of nipping when she plays in my hand. When mice nip, it doesn't hurt nearly as bad as a nip from a hamster much to my surprise. However, if they get you in that spot (right in the edge of your nail and skin) it hurts! I didn't appreciate that from her. Mishka has made no progress with taming unfortunately, minus the fact that she'll occasionally leave the nest if my hand is in the cage. I need to work on confidence building with her, but she hates treats so she won't come out for those. My hopes are that she'll follow the crowd (AKA shrew and whiskey) once they're tame. Shrew has been excellent with her taming. She'll sit on your hand, and then shimmy up your arm to her freedom lol. She loves being pet and getting to take a ride on hands. My neighbor's children wanted to meet the mice and much to my surprise, when I turned to see what the kids were up to, they held a content little Shrew in their hands! I had never scooped shrew up as I didn't want to set the taming process back, but the kids did it and she had no problem with it. After I tried it, I realized she didn't mind me doing it either! Keeping my fingers crossed these guys warm up more, and little Mishka gains some confidence

Sorry for rambling