Thread: Quigley
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 02:50 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Quigley

He is gorgeous! I'd never have guessed that name, but it's a nice one He is probably chewing the bars a bit because of the change and no wheel. Newtie did that a little bit on the first night or two which is why I put the wheel in the playpen and let him use it in out of cage time and he stopped then.

It is confusing isn't it. The idea of handling them straight away rather than leaving them to settle in for a couple of days, when they are skittish. The idea is to keep up the tameness and handling, but he will still be settling in and skittish after the change, so maybe it's a bit of a balance, of leaving him alone to settle in mostly, but handling him a little bit each day. I set up the playpen so I could get in and handle Newtie in there without him escaping as he was so fast when skittish!

The cage is lovely, although I do think there are a few fall risks at the moment. Not too bad but if he climbed up to the roof and dropped he could land awkwardly on the rainbow bridge, food bowl or ladder. It's why I find the rat sputniks helpful - if hung over the ladder he couldn't fall on that. Moving the bendy bridge and food bowl under one of the shelves might help. But just see how he goes. You don't want to freak him out by changing things around too much, but moving those two little things and adding something might be fine if you don't do much adjustment for a while after that.

The cage doesn't look nearly as tall as I expected though - it looks similar to the Barney height-wise. Have you measured the internal height? I want one!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote