View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 10:16 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Andover (SHC) 17th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilPearl View Post
The no card thing is really helpful to know, thank you! I can just imagine finding a lovely hamster and being unable to pay. Will make sure to take some cash out. Is there a usual price for a hamster, or does it vary?
The average price is usually about £10 but there may be others on the table that may be priced differently. I'm sure Kim would be happy to advise if you had any questions.
I've known a couple of shows where there's not been many hamsters for sale although from what I've seen, that tends to happen more in the Winter when hamsters are less likely to breed.

Quote:
Would love to come and say hi. Stupid question, but what does pen stuarding involve? Just to make sure I don’t walk up to the wrong person! Oh also, I need to point out in advance that I am not terribly rude - just painfully shy. So, sorry if I come across as awkward.
A Pen Steward basically brings all the hamsters to the judge for judging and then arranges them back on the bench in points order. They're one of the people permitted in what is known as the 'judging ring' and often wear a white coat or tabard.

The hamsters are usually divided into two sections Syrian and Dwarf (Campbells, Winter White, Chinese and Roborovski) and judged separately by different judges. The Dwarf pens are brown and the Syrian pens are black so it should be easy for you to see what section you're looking at.

You'll also see two people sat at separate tables within the judging ring, again, they will usually be wearing white coats or tabards. One will be the judge and the other will be the Book Steward, who writes down all the comments and scores from the judge.

Quote:
Ah thank you. That is so kind. Wish you could see it too. I am sure someone will post lots of pictures, though I will try to take some myself if I can and I remember!
I usually try and take some photos for the Southern Hamster Club website and do my best to get them up within a week of the show but we do welcome submissions from others too.

All the show galleries can be found at: Show Galleries 2017 – The Southern Hamster Club
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote