Thread: Picky eater?
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 05:08 PM  
Desmond
Newborn Pup

Default Picky eater?

My Syrian hamster Desmond seems to be very picky with his regular food. I feed him a hamster food mix that has a lot of different things in it, including a few types of seeds, dried peas, a rodent block/biscuit type of thing, a few various types of biscuits shaped like hearts and stars, and something that looks like a fruit loop (lol). It is supposed to provide the hamster with the proper nutrition (of course, I do give him fresh vegetables and other food as supplements/snacks/treats in addition to his regular food). His food mix also includes generic-looking pellets, but he eats everything in his food dish except these. He won't even take them from my hand if I give them to him, but he'll gladly take any of the other mix components from me.

I'm wondering if this sort of picky eating is normal for hamsters? I'm worried Desmond is missing out on certain nutrients if he's avoiding those particular pieces of food, but is eating everything else just fine. If it makes a difference, he is still very young, so I'm also curious if he might outgrow this and start eating those pellets, or if it's simply something he doesn't like.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote