Thread: Dwarf Hamster
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 09:55 AM  
FluffyHamsterButts
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Dwarf Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
Keeping pairs regardless of experience level is not a good idea.It isn't natural,and in the end the overwhelming majority of pairs require separation To truly thrive,solitary living is ideal,regardless of species.

Make sure they'll be housed in an appropriately sized cage.It would be best to get a cage between 80 cm x 50 cm and 100 cm x 50 cm,as this is most commonly a size range that truly lets Russians(including hybrids)thrive rather than the bare minimum for survival.You could certainly start with a smaller transition cage,which along with an appropriate setup will help to have a more confident hamster.

Make sure that you're going to feed a diabetes friendly diet as well,or at the very least dwarf friendly.There is only one food that completely covers nutritional needs(including animal protein),and that would be Burgess dwarf hamster food.

As with any species,stick to the highest quality most natural treats.No propylene glycol,artificial dyes or flavors,unspecified biproducts(digest,derivatives,generic liver of any sort,meat and bone meal,biproduct meal,etc),no processed sugars or artificial sweeteners(maltodextrin,dextrose,sorbitol,etc however diabetes prone species must not have added sugar at all).Nothing should be from China,irradiated,or from a sketchy company either.
I have been told by numerous recourses that dwarf hamsters are okay to live together as long as in equal and small groups? I am not too sure, but it doesn't matter too much right now as I am getting one as I am still a beginner.

Thanks for the ideas!
FluffyHamsterButts is offline   Reply With Quote