View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 10:46 AM  
tylerandloki
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Is Bernie too fat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilPearl View Post
Awww Bernie looks very cute - and perfectly fine to me, though it’s hard to tell without a weight. How much does she weigh? Have you looked at the hamster weigh in thread? There is actually a very broad range which could be healthy for her, depending on how big she is naturally.

You can feed fruit and veg daily and many do: a small piece up to once a day is enjoyed by most hams. If you haven’t been feeding it already you should introduce it slowly as it isn’t essential and too much too fast can cause tummy problems. However, as she seems to be showing no adverse effects, I wouldn’t worry about it. How long have you been feeing him fresh food? If it is more than a week, then she probably is fine.

How do you mean, you have been feeding her wrong? I am sure others will advise in more detail, but I am sure you have not been doing as wrong as you think and it is good that you are trying to do the best for him now. So long as he is getting a good quality mix such as harry hamster as the main component of her diet, she will be getting all the nutrients she needs with no added extras, though these are always appreciated. A bit of animal protein won’t go amiss either if it is not present in her mix. For example, some mealworms, boiled egg, or chicken.
Hello, and thank you for your reply! I don't have a scale that shows grams, but i get one when I go to town on Monday, because I have no clue how much she weighs at the moment.
It's good to know that you can give fruit and veg daily, because that's what I've been doing with both my past hamster and Bernie. Many people say to only give once or twice a week, and it got me worried that I'd been feeding them completely wrong. However, I will follow your advice and feed less - I think I've been giving too much.
I've been giving Bernie fresh food since I got her, so about a week and a few days. Thank goodness she hasn't gotten sick, there's a good chance she could've. But no diarrhoea or any sign of discomfort at all, so I suppose she's okay now.

Thank you very much, that does calm me a bit. I genuinely hope it isn't as bad as I think. I know her mix hasn't been the best quality, but I'll pick up Harry Hamster mix on Monday along with the scale. I do give her meat once a week, and she doesn't enjoy mealworms, but I'll make sure to add a few more sources of protein

Again, thanks!
tylerandloki is offline   Reply With Quote