View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Hamster Treats??

The Hazel Hamster Lovelies should be fine if they're just a slightly different formula to the Gerty Guinea Pig Scrummies!Just avoid their products with unsafe ingredients(leeks mostly,but any artificial dyes should be avoided).

As a special occasion treat I do use the Parents Choice(spelling might be wrong,but they're just the Walmart brand baby yogurt drops)yogurt drops.These are actually much better than the pet store yogurt drops(pure sugar,often have unsafe ingredients like artificial dyes,plus unlike the pet store ones these are actually okay for dogs and cats in moderation at least with the flavors I've seen,check for corn and wheat as these absolutely must not be given to dogs or cats).They happen to be cheaper than pet store drops too!Of course,being a dairy product and having gelatin they do need to be kept as a special occasion treat

I also use some Higgins products,which tend to be quite affordable at Petsupermarket.Just check the ingredients for safety,as with any treat,but overall they have a good variety of products to choose from!Along with these,you can find some Vitakraft products without any artificial ingredients that are actually safe for hamsters for example the AnimaLovens Garden Patch biscuits.Not all Vitakraft/Sunseed products are good though,as many are loaded with sugars or artificial dyes and in some case otherwise unsafe ingredients

I'm definitely a fan of Wet Noses dog biscuits which are conveniently available in trial sized boxes through Petco.There are some flavors which may not be hamster safe,but plenty are safe,and they just happen to be organic!Buddy Biscuits/Cloud Star can also be good(as with any treats,if they're to be shared with dogs or cats make sure they don't contain corn or wheat)from what I remember,and they are available from a variety of places.In fact,I believe I've even seen them in certain grocery stores.

Just make sure there's no artificial dyes or sugars or flavors,no unspecified biproducts(often labelled as digest,derivatives,meat and bone meal of any sort,animal liver or just "liver",or biproduct meal of some sort),no BHA/BHT/ethoxyquin(known to cause cancer),and that they do not come from China and are not irradiated.They must come from a reputable company,but when all these things are taken into consideration there are still tons of wonderful products out there including those which are dog friendly(again no corn or wheat,although a lot of dogs tolerate rice or oatmeal and a few other grains just fine so that is less of a concern while corn and wheat really need to be excluded).
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote