View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 06:59 AM  
Enyaday
Newborn Pup

Question Please Help! Moving hamster pups to a different cage?

Hello!

I got my winter white hamster, Artemis, two weeks ago. A week later, she unexpectedly had seven pups. She has done a lovely job taking care of them and none have been abandoned or culled. It has been nearly a week and a half since the birth of the pups and I have since removed the wheel but otherwise left her to do her thing(besides food/water and letting her out to play).

Last night, I woke up to some noises that caused me to believe she was not in her cage. I was right. My cage bars are 1cm apart, and my theory is because I recently took away the wheel, boredom has gotten the best of her. I put a wire/fabric type playpen around her cage(while taking the metal cage part off) so she did not run about for the night. I did order a cage about a week ago(the Hamster Heaven cage) because her cage is just at the minimum floor space.

Now, the cage has arrived but the pups eyes have not opened so I am conflicted. Do I risk her chewing through the fabric on the playpen to not disturb the nest, or do I transfer her things to the bigger cage. If so, how do I go about doing this to reduce stress as much as I can? Thank you so much for reading!
Enyaday is offline   Reply With Quote