View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 11:44 AM  
Crystalroborovski
Senior Hamster

Default Re: I can't get a hamster

I'm sorry you're frustrated, but if your mother says "no" it's best to accept and respect her decision. Once you have your own place you can get a hamster for yourself, but until then, don't disrespect your mother's rules (even if you don't understand them and think they're silly).

As for breeding hamsters, please do not do it unless you meet all of the requirement below:

-You have done at least a few months of research. This includes knowing genetic combinations (which ones are lethal or could produce deformed or sick offspring), knowing prenatal and postnatal care for the mother (proper diet, housing, nutrition, etc), knowing all of the possible complications of breeding, knowing what a phantom pregnancy is, etc. There are a lot of things to cover when researching breeding, i just listed a few.

-You have money set aside for an emergency vet trip/possible surgery (this can add up to hundreds, possibly even a thousand dollars)

-You can provide properly sized homes and supplies for up to 20 babies if they do not find homes. Again money plays a big part in this.

-You have high quality hamsters from a professional breeder, with the genetic information on both the breeding hamsters and their family line

-You have a vet near you that will treat hamsters if an emergency vet trip is needed

-You have proper homes for the babies to go to. If you don't, you will have to house them yourself which can be very expensive

-(most importantly) you have an ethical reason to breed. Reasons for breeding which are not ethical are
-you want cute baby hamsters
-you want to make money from selling the babies
-you want to breed because it is "fun" or "an experiment"
The only ethical reasons to breed are if you want to have show quality stock (as inky mentioned above) or if you want to improve the domesticated hamster species itself.

Breeding is a huge gamble- the mother could eat the pups, she could have deformed or sick babies, and the mother, father and babies could die. I don't mean to crush your dreams of breeding in any way, I just want you to realize that breeding is not a joke and you need to do loads of research before you start.

Last edited by Crystalroborovski; 04-28-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Crystalroborovski is offline   Reply With Quote