View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 10:56 PM  
AprilPearl
Hamster Hugger

Default Re: Me and my Shadow

Hi Lucy, Shadow is lovely! I am in a similar position to you, in that I have not had a hamster for many years, but 2 weeks ago purchased Mushu (my current hamster) from Pets at Home. I even bought the same cage!

Just wanted to say that you will want to buy a bigger cage for shadow. Of course, the pets at home large wire cage is the biggest they sell in store (or at least, in the store I went to), but it still is not big enough for a permanent home. And the wheel is so tiny that at 12 weeks old, my Mushu has pretty much grown out of his. Also, running on small wheel can cause spinal damage.

See this thread on the cage in question: Pets At Home "Large" Wire Hamster Cage

I’ve ordered the Alaska cage off Zooplus (which is still much smaller than I’d like and certainly smaller than the majority of HC memebers’ cages, but the biggest I can accommodate) and the 12 inch silent runner wheel, which is one of the best wheels on the market, elsewhere.
See both here:

Alaska Hamster Cage | Free P&P on orders £29+ at zooplus!

Silent Runner 12 Inch

You can buy cage mounting plates from the same website to attach the wheel to the side of the cage, or just have it free standing.

Looking forwards to updates on shadow!

Last edited by AprilPearl; 04-23-2017 at 11:07 PM.
AprilPearl is offline   Reply With Quote