View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 10:34 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Opinions on these cages?

Out of the two, I think the second one is best. The first one is a great size, but if you email the seller you may find it is made of cedarwood. (That's what happened when I enquired about the first one). Although I believe there are slightly different versions and it might be pine.

The second one is pine, so fine. I think they can be a bit roughly made, but someone on here had one and you can have masses of substrate if you swap the bottom door and the panel above it round when constructing it. Apparently that bit's quite easy during the construction.

You'd probably need some sanding paper handy and as the others said, to plastikote it all.

With the door change though you could have 30cm of substrate maybe for tunneling and it's a lot cheaper than a glass tank. So the height can be of really good use if you can fit 30cm of substrate in and still have enough height. The deep substrate will also avoid the fall risks.

As the others say - if your hamster is a chewer it's not a good idea, but you can reinforce certain areas with metal strips if that turns out to be a problem.

I like the second one - with the door swap. Because then you also get front opening access to your hammy which is a good thing to have.

Painting might be easier using something like Cuprinol garden shades (which I believe some people have used instead of plastikote) but check it out as I'm not really sure about that.

Amazon sell the second one as well - if you get it from there and there's some damage you'll be able to get it swapped/refunded easier maybe.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote