View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 08:26 AM  
Vectis Hamstery

Default Re: 30 Days of April

So far so good for Helen and King. I managed to wear Rogue out yesterday with sniffing, training and some parkour round the hall so he's mostly been snoozing today while I've been busy in the hamster room.

The hamster room was looking a little untidy after taking loads of spare cages down and had the empty Houten carriers all over, not to mention the usual post-show debris. I've been ever so productive in cleaning and tidying away all the empty carriers, then I mixed up batches of food for the hamsters, Campbells and duprasi. I thought I'd do that before any tidying as I usually make a mess! As it involved food, Rogue had to supervise
Mixing food by Vectis Hamstery, on Flickr

I tidied the medicine drawer (and discovered a few things had expired so will have to replace those later in the week) and also my cleaning kit. I didn't find the paintbrush for dusting the show pens that I've misplaced, but I did find several sets of nail clippers I'd forgotten I had!
Cleaning the hamster room: tidy medicine drawer by Vectis Hamstery, on Flickr
Cleaning the hamster room: tidy cleaning kit by Vectis Hamstery, on Flickr

I then went round and did a feed, water and check of everyone and spot cleaned 1/3 of the hamster room. A few wheels have got squeaky so hopefully the oil will sort them out and help for quieter nights! I find a syringe a more accurate way of applying a few drops as I used to get oil everywhere otherwise.
Cleaning the hamster room: water change by Vectis Hamstery, on Flickr
Cleaning the hamster room: spot clean and wheel oiling by Vectis Hamstery, on Flickr

Delphic was helpful in feeding - he felt all the food should be in his own cage. Or, better yet, he'd just move into the food box!
A scoop of hamster? by Vectis Hamstery, on Flickr

Everyone got a helping of vitamin mash which was pounced on by everyone. I use the cake cases as it saves washing up loads of little bowls, and the hamsters enjoy ripping the cases and adding them to their nests.
Portioning the extras by Vectis Hamstery, on Flickr

And a bonus Campbelly pic
Hiccups? by Vectis Hamstery, on Flickr