Thread: Syrian tank
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 12:48 AM  
Sarahbean
Newborn Pup

Question Syrian tank

Hi all! I am heading out tomorrow to get a glass tank for my Syrian hammy, Banjo, at a local small chain pet store. They have a room filled with inexpensive used tanks (also sell many new wire mesh lids), and I almost bought one today- but decided to wait and ask what size sounds like it would work well and lower her stress.
She has a 12 inch silent spinner which is actually about 15 inches with the stand and it takes up so much room in her small cage. She is in a small (tiny!!) wire cage connected to a bin cage I made to accommodate her large wheel. The only problem with that is the only bin tall enough to fit the wheel was smaller than I initially wanted in the floor area. Because of this, as Banjo grows she's starting to get really stressed from what could only be the cage.
I have had many Syrians before, one doing very well in a tank (~gave the tank to a friend so I no longer own it~) but he did have the silent spinner in a size down; as you all probably know, the 12 inch is a very large wheel to put on the floor of the cage.

SO WHAT I AM ASKING IS, how many litres/gallons would be appropriate for an average sized Syrian hamster, and would still fit the 15 inch tall wheel comfortably?
Sarahbean is offline   Reply With Quote