View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 PM  
DennisJones
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Dennis-Sama's Habitat, A work in progress.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
I've always used industrial strength Velcro as amity suggested. It works really well, but will eventually need occasional replacing
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
Industrial strength velcro and just hanging the bottle where only the spout is within reach of your hamster works really well.It's a lot safer than the extremely dangerous metal guards you might see,plus it's easier than having to make something out of wood.
I liked the velcro idea and definitely something I will remember for the future, but i decided to make something out of wood instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I'd think carefully about the rope bridge idea, a lot of rope/string isn't safe, sisal is about the safest but it might be difficult to make something out of rope that would be safe for your little guy.
Hard to say not knowing quite what your ideas are though.
I decided not to make a rope bridge, and instead made a self supporting bridge (below) with the sunlight I had left after the bottle holder!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Velcro is good for bottles but if you want ideas for something to make I'm sure you could easily come up with something like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMB View Post
A block of wood fitted to the side of the cage with a hole cut out big enough for the bottle spout to fit through and a little edge on would hold the water bottle and the wood theme wouldn't be lost.

There is probably an off cut piece of wood left over from the cage build that would be perfect.
You were both the inspiration behind my main build today!

For the base I carved a recess to slot the upright post into and the glued this into place, then to support the carved bottle shelf I glued a small post to the front and then screwed the shelf onto this.

To stop the bottle from falling off I used the metal wire that came with the bottle and nailed this into the upright to hold it in place.

Thats it for now, cant think of much else that needs building

I am a complete newcomer to this, and these are only my own thoughts and opinions. I will take advice as should you from the more experienced members who will no doubt be around soon!
DennisJones is offline   Reply With Quote