View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 01:30 AM  
Millie
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
Hello and welcome back! Lovely to see you've decided to get back into hamsters

I suggest reading through the forums to get very specific info on care. However, I will cover the basics of what has changed.

Cage size: the minimum cage size (what is considered humane) is now 450 sq in rather than 360. However, recent studies have suggested that for the larger species such as Syrians, 1,000 sq inches+ would be best

Bedding: Fitch is widely regarded as the best substrate available, so if you're in the UK, try to get hold of this. However, in the US, kaytee clean and cozy is definitely the best you're going to get

Wheel: the best quality brand out there is the silent runner hands down! However, the wodent wheel, Carolina storm, and trixie all come in close seconds

What species are you planning on getting? Knowing this will help us recommend cages! Good luck, make sure to re-read everything and ask lots of questions
Hi there! Thank you, I'm excited to get back into it. It's been too long without a little furry friend! How many hamsters do you have?

I have been having a browse over the forums and its interesting to see whats changed, that's why I wanted to get some suggestions before buying. I'm planning on getting a Syrian, I've only owned Syrians in the past.
Is there any specific cages you would recommend?

I am in the UK so I will definitely get hold of fitch bedding. Do you know if they sell it at pets at home? If not, I'll find it online for sure.

Wheel wise, I would need something quiet as possible so it being called 'silent runner' is a good start

Thank you for all you help!
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote