View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 PM  
Amethyst_ice

Default Re: Hi guys i just want to see if im doing this right

Hello,

Welcome to you and Hammy!

Firstly let me say Hammy is a gorgeous little guy and from watching him I think the bite was perhaps more you maybe scaring him and not him being nasty. He seems very eager to bond and play with you considering you have had him so little time! And I think you already know that you need to try be more confident. Is Hammy your first hamster? If so that is perfectly understandable to be nervous but I think you are going to be a wonderful hamster daddy already.

For some advice I would say don't clean him out too often as he will want to get the place how he wants while he is settling in. This is the time you should start building up the trust and bonding with him. I'd suggest getting in a secure place, maybe your bath tub with some towels in and getting a box for hammy to climb into. Then sit in the bath tub and let him run over you and stroke him, perhaps try to gently scoop him up to get him used to be handled.

He will likely grow quite quickly so his cage may start getting a little bit cramped and his wheel a bit too tiny for his back so you may want to think about that in the future.

It is normal for hamsters to store their food and other things in their house so if he wants to do that let him, it's his house after all

Looking forward to seeing how you both bond and any questions please feel free to ask

x