View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 04:22 PM  
HarleytheHamster2017
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppy91 View Post
Hi, what kind of symptom do you have and have you tried taking antihistamines?

How to deal with pet allergies
Hi, I get a horrible sore throat-type irritation, wheezing, sneezing, coughing, & etc. I took benadryl for my allergies or for sleep some of the time. I really don't remember if i have ever taken it for hamster allergies? I've never had these problems before with my past hamsters? Gosh! I really hope & pray that i don't have to give my hamster away! They are my Best Friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffagrams View Post
It could be an allergy to substrate, and from reading anecdotes these seem to be more common than an allergy to the hamster themselves.

The first thing I'd consider is switching your hamster to a different substrate to see if that relieves your symptoms. Wood shavings are often the most common cause of substrate allergy but you mention that you're using a paper based one. Do you know the name of it so that we might be able to suggest some alternatives for you to try?
The bedding i use is i think "Care Critter?" Just recently i got some new bedding. I don't know what kind of bedding it is either. I cleaned my hamster's cage today. I got the horrible allergies again when i did! Each time i clean my hamster's cage i get those nasty allergies! Like today. Like i said i never had these problems with my past hamsters. Is it me?

Last edited by Fluffagrams; 04-17-2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts
HarleytheHamster2017 is offline   Reply With Quote