View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 01:31 PM  
DennisJones
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Dennis-Sama's Habitat, A work in progress.

I then stood over it and thought where next? Hmmm "levels" always look cool in the videos on youtube so i set about with one of the smaller Ikea shelves and cut that up to make a raised platform. I then grabbed the ends off the wall and glued them together with wood glue to make some steps going up, and with that it was "level Complete"

Next I cut some discs out of wood and glued them side by side, waited for that to set and then with a single nail hammered a short plank onto it to make a see saw.

^^His old habitat inside the new^^

That was it for that day, I took it inside and introduced Dennis-Sama to his new habitat which lets be honest was a very stressful moment for him. Such a big living area with so many new smells.

So today I set out early to start making the lid, I braced 4 planks which were cut to fit the top with some metal Ikea shelf brackets. Screwed these on and attached a handle from an old wardrobe.

Tomorrow (would have been today but "holidays") I will staple the wire mesh to the lid and fix some hinges.

Once that is done and the materials arrive from Amazon I will take out the wall (front) where the platform is and replace it with 2 A3 sheets of perspex (cemented together) and beaded in place with wood. This will enable us to see inside what has become his new and luxurious hidey hole and burrow.

I have made a little fort out of a toasters cardboard packaging that i found when i eventually cleared out the shed with a connecting tissue tube to fill that open space and give him a hidey hole. He does however STILL love the tubes from his old habitat (that is where he is in this last picture.)

One last Ikea plug, I used a plastic bookend to hold his wheel upright, it clips on perfectly!

Last edited by DennisJones; 04-16-2017 at 02:39 PM.
DennisJones is offline   Reply With Quote