View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 11:39 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: How deep should my bedding be?

If you can get the sand Drago linked to that would be great for her, not just for coat condition but also for helping to keep claws trim & Chineseys just love to dig & roll in their sand, mine will do it for ages. For some reason they seem to much prefer a rounds sand bath, unlike Russians which generally roll onto their backs in the sand Chineseys like to kind of lie on their side & go round & round in circles (very funny to watch) so if you can get something round & deep enough for a good dig I'm sure Coffee will love it.

Cleaning doesn't have to be difficult, they do normally pee in one place (plus the wheel!)& once you figure out where that is you can just clean that area every few days or when it needs it, that way you can leave her burrows intact most of the time.
Don't worry about the poo! You can leave that for some time without a problem, I generally just clean maybe half or a third at most of the cage once a month or even less if it doesn't need it.
If she's having a good quality diet with natural seeds then that will help to keep her teeth trim, some hams don't chew wood & even the odd ham doesn't take much interest in whimzees, I have to say my Chineseys aren't that mad about whimzees unlike my Russians but they do like the occasional greenie, dog biscuits can help too but the most important thing is the main diet & if you give extra seeds like sunflower to always give them in the shell so they have to chew their way in.
I give mine a monkey nut about once a week & getting into that is good for their teeth too, you may need to make just a tiny break in the shell at each end to get her started on it but if she can chew her way through the shell then you won't need to be worrying about her teeth!
If you ever want to check them though try holding a treat just above her head & as she reaches up for it you should be able to get a good look at her teeth.
❤️

Last edited by cypher; 04-05-2017 at 12:51 AM.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote