View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 02:44 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: How deep should my bedding be?

For Syrians,you want 8-12 inches.For robos and Chinese I wouldn't go under 4 inches,but really they do appreciate just as much substrate as a Syrian As for the other dwarf species,around 6-8 inches at least is what you want.It doesn't hurt to go above and beyond this for any species,as there are so many benefits to using deep substrate!

In terms of substrate,you want something that absolutely cannot cause any allergies.This rules out wood products(even aspen can and more often than you'd think will cause issues).I know that Kaytee Clean and Cozy is a very good choice,and it does hold burrows perfectly on its own as well as if you get it from a good source(there are some issues ordering it from Amazon apparently)it has little to no dust.A lot of people also recommend Oxbow Pure Comfort,although I haven't tried it personally.Definitely stay away from Carefresh though,it's only good as a last resort substrate when there are no other hypoallergenic choices since while it generally doesn't cause allergic reactions on its own there is often a massive amount of dust.Not only does it have ridiculous levels of dust,it's also extremely expensive in almost any case Just make sure any substrate is unscented,as the scented varieties are completely unsafe regardless of "natural" sourcing(Kaytee scented varieties for example would be one of these unsafe substrates).
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote