View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 AM  
Crystalroborovski
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Favorite hamster toys for robos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
There's really not much you can do with pairs Research tends to just point towards not using platforms or levels of any sort,no tubes,no houses with single entrances,etc but it doesn't acknowledge whether or not it is natural(it isn't except with mixed sexes which creates the problem of babies)or that it just doesn't allow the same enrichment and cages are often much smaller than the amount of floor space an individual should have let alone enough floor space for two hamsters.

Considering a robo is a nervous species as is and there are so few potential hiding spaces that are appropriate for pairs,you're ending up with massively stressed hamsters.Not only is there the stress of too little space(even a robo needs a decent amount of space,and pairs being housed in small cages get very little of that compared to a single robo housed in the same or larger),but there's the stress of an unnatural living situation as mentioned(you might prefer it and find it cute,but it isn't a good thing to have stressed hamsters who are more prone to illness and just won't be as happy as they would be alone with more enrichment and more of their own space).
The cage I'm getting is 650+ sq. inches, so I'm pretty sure it's big enough for 2 hamsters. So in terms of toys, do you have any reccomendations at all? And from what I'm getting in the way you replied, it sounds like you're saying that getting a pair will just create massive amounts of stress for both hamsters. From the several sources I've read from and done research from (updated sources, of course) I haven't really found anybody saying that housing 2 robos together just stresses them out. I'm prepared for a pair, and I also live very close to someone who has a pair of robos whom I ask advice from often. Please understand that I'm not getting a pair just because I think it'll be cute to see two little hamsters snuggled up with each other. I've got many other reasons why, so I'm not just diving headfirst into this just because I like animals/hamsters.

Last edited by Crystalroborovski; 03-22-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something
Crystalroborovski is offline   Reply With Quote