View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: how different are Sriyans from Dwarfs?

I haven't had dwarf hamsters, but as Rads says, Syrians are a lot bigger - they need bigger wheels, bigger houses and bigger toys. We had the Barney cage for our Syrian after upgrading him from an 80cm cage, and I think the Barney is a good size for a Syrian. It also means it's easier to fit their big stuff in! Although I did have a huge house in mine. The Barney also comes with a good house and shelf so you just need a wheel and toys then, and a 12" wheel fits in easily (11" is usually fine but if your Syrian grows large they can need a 12" sometimes).

Our Syrian was also very large at 225g. I think they are less fast than dwarves (although they can still be fast), but they are easier to handle possibly, when tamed. Some dwarf owners may disagree with that, and as I say I haven't had a dwarf hamster. I found ours was great to interact with - we had real communication "looks". He was a combination of indpendent and happy to snuggle on your knee sometimes (if he wasn't feeling too active at that moment). Nice size to hold in your hand
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote