View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Hamster To Human Transmitted Diseases

As long as reasonable precautions are taken to prevent inhalation,it wouldn't be a massive risk.

A very deadly disease is spread by pigeons(through feces,technically spores in feces I believe).However despite being highly dangerous and capable of resulting in death without precautions,it has no impact on whether or not birds(as most can spread it from what I recall,I might be wrong with that though)should be kept in captivity or how "dangerous" they'd be.It comes down to hygiene and safety measures once again,but to be honest most of the practices would be common sense anyways like not inhaling close to feces and avoiding cage cleaning and such while pregnant or with an otherwise compromised immune system.To me,it wouldn't be any different with the addition of this potential risk compared to caring for other pets,but I can see why it would be terrifying for some people.

Honestly with one being supposedly spread through bites I think all the hamster owners here would either have had it by now,so I really doubt it's as common as it sounds.It does seem to me like it could be yet another situation of extreme fear with a reality of minimal likelihood though.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote