View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 04:24 PM  
Hamsterita
La loca de los hamsters

Default Re: Vivarium suitable?

Hi!!

I have a custom made terrarium and I'm thrilled with it (you can see it here Blacky's Thread - The Black Spanish Syrian Hamster), so, I like your vivarium, but I think that it may need some arrangements to have a good ventilation.

Maybe you won't need to block the lower front part, because If the steel grid is smaller enough maybe it can hold the substrate, but anyway I think that you should drill the top and make gazillions of holes or make a lid (from scratch or by making a big hole in the wood and meshing it).

I read on the website that the wood is formaldehyde-free and OSB-3 laminated plate (whatever that means), so I suppose that the wood won't be a problem (geckos are very delicate animals too), but I agree that melamine It's better, and maybe I didn't get it right but I also read that you have to assemble it. So, If you have to assemble it, and you have to modify the top (or think about something to allow the air flow), maybe it would be better (and cheaper) for you to buy melamine planks, several glass panels and two rails and do it yourself from scratch.

If you're not a DIY type, I would suggest to look for people that could do it for you in your area. I thought that it was going to be super expensive, but mine only cost 120 € and I chose everything (length, width, materials...). Wood/melamine should be cheaper, so I think it's worth to take a look.