View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 06:07 PM  
Littlelotti24
Newborn Pup

Default FINALLY! Why my hamster was so itchy! Trichophyton fungal infection

So all this started the day after I got my new hamster Moo! I have another thread on here called "very itchy hamster" and I was so lost as to why my hamster was itchy for no apparent reason. I just wanted to do a update on my Itchy little Moo.... so her skin culture came back and it turns out she has Trichophyton which is a strand of ringworm. The vet did a stain of her culture and it was positive. Apparently there are different strands of fungus that live on humans and hamsters and they can be "triggered" at diff times, like stress or sickness. We believe hers was caused by stress and they also are positive that it was not any of her food, treats, bedding or environment that caused it.. thank goodness.. she still has minimal bedding in her tank but I am giving her food and chews back haha. She seems to be doing great but is still itchy as this will take a couple mor weeks to heal with the anti fungal she is taking orally.. THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND WORDS OF ADVICE WHEN I HAD NO CLUE WHAT WAS CAUSING THIS.After changing her food, bedding, treats and chews I knew it was none of those things, waiting for answers realy is the hardest thing to do.... thanks again, I love this forum.
Littlelotti24 is offline   Reply With Quote