View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 03:43 PM  
chesca_27
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Help with hamster breeds, please :)

I don't have any personal experience with any hamster species except Winter Whites, but what you have been told so far is accurate.

Winter Whites and Campbells (and Hybrids) are probably the tamest dwarf hamsters. They have very sweet little personalities, run around like crazy lunatics and then sit still for cuddles. They are also smaller, so cage size isn't as big of an issue and there are better toys available (easier to find, smaller and so more to buy ).

Hamsters from breeders are the tamest though, so that's always a good place to start. You are also likely to get a healthier animal. It does depend on where you live though. The Uk is a very easy place to get friendly, show quality hamsters (most breeders show their hamsters). I am very fortunate to be so incredible near to a well respected breeder, so I didn't have too much trouble. In the US and Canada it is very difficult to find breeders, but there are a few HC members who are breeders in the US.

Good luck !

Whatever you go for, it can be tamed with perseverance.