View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 02:47 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Wheels for syrians??

A standard wheel is important I think, as the main wheel, so they run properly. It can be nice to have a flying saucer as well, if you have space for both, but Syrians tend to not always run well in a flying saucer and can "bend" in the middle, so I see it as an extra rather than a main wheel, so they don't get back problems in the future.

If you're in the US the three most popular ones are the 12" Silent Runner (which I also love! And it's cheaper in the US than the Uk), the Carolina Storm Bucket wheel (which is 10" and ok for an average or smaller Syrian but a large Syrian needs a 12" wheel really). And the 11" wodent wheel which is good for average sized Syrians.

The Carolina Storm wheels aren't cheap but they are silent too, with ball bearings and are sturdy and height adjustable (so you can have a good amount of substrate under it at maximum height).

The Silent Runner is Silent and has a very safe sturdy, one-piece metal stand. It's a similar design to the wodent wheel, with a front and back piece and a running track that all come apart, but it hasn't got a spindle, which is good for long haired hamsters, and makes it easier to clean than the wodent wheel (arguably!). They are quite new but I used mine for the last year and no issues at all. It only comes in orange lol. You can also get (separately) good cage mounting plates for it, so it can be attached to a cage at whatever height you want. Or to a wood sided cage or a bin cage, by drilling a hole where you want the centre bolt to go. The advantage of this is you can have deep substrate and site the wheel above it, and it's not going to fall over, get tunnelled under or whatever. I've had mine cage mounted and it's great.

The 11" wodent wheel used to be the favourite of hamster wheels I think - they've been on the go a long time, along with the 12" Wobust wheel. To me the 12" Silent Runner is a much better option than the 12" Wobust wheel (having used both) as the Wobust wheel is very deep and takes up loads of space - looks like a hat box lol.

The wodent wheels are well made with good quality plastic and tend to last a long time. They tend to be quiet (there are remedies if it develops a squeak) but not always silent. They can be a bit fiddly to take apart and put back together because of a metal pin fasting at the front, although once you get used to it it's fine. They do have a spindle so not good for long haired hamsters. They can be attached to cages and tanks again by slotting the stand through the top bars or through a hole drilled in the side, but need extra supports (for a tank) or cable ties for a cage. Transoniq Tidbits web page shows examples of how to attach it. I think it works great hung upside down. I had issues with the stand really. Didn't like it stood on the stand - it wasn't that stable on top of substrate and too low to stand on the base of the cage and still moved. Also our hamster got his leg stuck between the wheel and stand on the 12" wobust wheel - which is why I then hung it upside down. Hamsters do have a habit of running behind a wheel sometimes.

You can get both the Silent Runner and the 11" Wodent wheel from Exotic Nutrition (and I think they are the best prices too). Exotic Nutrition are actually the manufacturers of the Silent Runner.

The Carolina Storm wheel has its own website. There is only the one size - 10" diameter I think.

I'd go for a 12" Silent Runner - they spin so well and easily and are quite lighweight without being flimsy. The 12" spins so well I reckon a dwarf hammy could run in it easily.

Finally - don't confuse the 12" Silent "Runner" with the 12" Silent Spinner. The Silent "Spinner is also massively deep (same depth as the Wobust wheel) and since a manufacturing change a year or so ago they don't always spin well - if at all!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote