View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 04:07 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: need help choosing a new cage for my syrian hamster

Although the larger cages use a lot more substrate/bedding it doesn't work out more costly because the more bedding there is and the deeper it is, the less you need to do a "big clean". You can just "spot clean" mostly - ie take out a handful of substrate that is wet and put another handful in. And only need to change the substrate every 2 to 3 months. This makes it much better for hamster and owner as Hamsters get stressed by change and cage cleans. They will also use a litter tray usually if you provide one. Our hammy always used his litter tray/potty and I just emptied that every 5 to 7 days. If he thought it needed emptying he put substrate on top of it so it didn't smell The rest of the cage stayed dry - in fact in the end I would just do a clean because I reckoned things would be getting dusty! Or because his hoard was taking over. Then you can remove the top 2/3 of substrate, wipe the base and put the bottom 2/3 back, and top it up and mix it in so it still smells familiar. Usually the bottom 2/3 is clean and dry, especially if a litter tray is used. It can be best to clean the toys a different week and the wheel a different week so something always smells familiar to the hamster.

The Alaska cage is fine too - it's about the same floorspace as the Hamster Heaven but taller (about the same height as the Barney). But although it's about £15 cheaper than the Barney it needs a house buying for it as the white plastic one with holes in is no good as a house and needs removing really as the holes are too small for a Syrian. They do better with something open underneath, on top of the substrate and big enough to build a really big nest in. A shoebox makes a good house.

You can also buy substrate in bulk so it doesn't work out expensive. Fitch is very popular on here (it's the white paper substrate in my photos) - it comes in 10kg or 20kg bags and works out really cheap. I used to get the 10kg one for £16.99 as it was smaller to store indoors - lasted me about 6 months usually.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote