Thread: Top 5 buys?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 06:15 AM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Top 5 buys?

I'd have to say a large scoop,like the kind usually sold in garden sections or as pet food scoops!They work perfectly to clean cages out,and you can still use a smaller tool in the corners as needed,but for a general simple tool they're perfect and can be cheap.

Something you cannot go wrong with are Whimzees.They're all natural,have nothing bad(unlike a lot of other chews,for example certain dog biscuits that do contain unsafe preservatives once you understand label loopholes,or chews marketed to hamsters),and have the added bonus of coming in a variety of package sizes depending on how many pets you have that can use them including variety packs(though these may not be available everywhere).

This is kind of well known,but toilet roll/loo roll.Buy several packs,just make sure it is able to be dissolved in water.The cheap kind works very well,while others which are more durable and thicker/fluffier are not as safe.Make sure there is no dye or scent though,that is very important!Bambi,the lady of chaos,thinks that living without it would be torture

Clay/terracotta pots are also a great thing to have.As long as they're just the right size to fit your hamster,they're a perfect hiding place that can be chilled but even Syrian sized ones tend to be very cheap which is always nice.

Get some hamster-safe toy making materials.Some natural jute for example,combined with wood pieces and a ring shaped treat(I'd recommend the yellow/banana pieces from the Tiny Friends Farms Gerty guinea pig scrummies,they work really well for this!)or a few of them makes a great toy.You can make them several times over,potentially just getting fresh string and using the same wood pieces every time but just adding things on,so it is definitely budget friendly but also very easy to make as long as you're patient.

Flax seed(all natural)is a great extra,which seems to always be popular among hamsters.Prices will vary on it,but you usually get a pretty big bag and you only need a small pinch of it per serving.I feed it daily because of the main diet I feed,but if you're feeding Harry Hamster every 2-3 days would be just fine.

Puffed rice shouldn't be too expensive and would be a good treat,as long as you can get plain puffed rice.I've also seen puffed wheat,and both would be fine I haven't tried it myself but I do believe others have used it,plus Gerber baby puffs(a very popular treat,though expensive in the UK due to import costs)seem pretty similar.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote