View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 04:35 AM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Future Pets(Or the chaos I somehow got myself into)

Normally I'd have just gone right with a C&C cage for the guinea pigs,but in this case I'm going with DIY.C&C cages are definitely a good choice though which I'd probably do in the future,especially with a larger group of piggies that would need much more space than this DIY will give(as it is going to be 48 inches x 36 inches,or 12 square feet,which exceeds both the US minimum and recommended size for a pair of boars along with being over the minimum for 3 female piggies!)

Ferrets living outdoors here would be a disaster,along with any other pet living outdoors that isn't a horse or other farm type(chickens,cows,guinea fowl if you like,etc though those can technically be considered not quite pets).Not only would the weather not permit it,but they'd also be exposed to loads of bugs and wild animals which is not good

They do need loads of space,however in this case I'm taking more of a cage-as-sleeping-quarters-with-ferret-safe-room approach.It works out cheaper than just outright purchasing several Critter Nations and connecting them,which then allows the money to be spent on food(which as mentioned does get expensive).Plus that size mentioned is for a pair,which isn't exactly something that all ferret owners would have.That being said a ferret room would fulfill the requirements and as strictly sleeping quarters it works.That approach is fairly common and is definitely known to be wonderful for ferrets!

I really like that they acknowledged the dietary needs of ferrets though,especially including that raw is an option!Seems like a lot of good information,though the bits with hay and wood are not good Ferrets will eat just about anything they can access in most cases,hence hay(indigestible)being used would be very bad.Blockages could be caused,for example.With the wood shavings,it would be too easy for a ferret to get injured when using the litter box as they tend to scoot after pooping(may sound gross,but very important to know)and the wood would be able to injure them that way.

Forgot to mention this,but ferrets can be trained not to bite without much difficulty.Generally a firm no and a careful scruffing will do(and is recommended by experienced ferret parents aka ferrents).Of course,one must be very careful as they have incredibly strong jaws capable of crushing bones and if they bite hard enough they could do serious damage.That's why it is important to start early on with appropriate training

They also say no cat or dog food though,which is kind of inaccurate to an extent.That depends on the food itself rather than being cat or dog food alone,as there are some of both which could be fine for ferrets.Of course,there are some which shouldn't be fed(though most of which shouldn't even be fed to cats or dogs!),but to say absolutely under no circumstances no cat or dog food?That is quite silly.

Last edited by AmityvilleHams; 02-25-2017 at 04:54 AM.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote