View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 04:22 PM  
mickaexd
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Help please! Robo's arguing

Hi All (Sorry for the long post in advance)

Just wondering if any body has any ideas/similar experiences.

We got two robos three days ago, two boys who were already together from the same litter. They were curled up together asleep which we thought was a good indication that they might get along.

When we brought them home they have been in a large cage, two of everything and scatter feeding.

We could tell straight away that one was a bit more dominant and one a bit more timid, but everything has been great for two days. They chose to sleep together in the same house and playing/getting along fine.

Last night (third night), I noticed that the more shy one had moved into the other house. Also he did not come out for food straight away although he had been watching me the entire time, the other hamster came out as soon as I had finished.

Everything seemed fine later on so I thought they were just adjusting to the new surroundings. However this morning, we hear lots of noise and rustling to see them tumbling around their cage and the shy one falling onto his back with his tummy exposed trying to get away.

This went on for a few minutes and although I kept putting my hands in to separate as soon as he could find away around the dominant one would be back chasing him again.

I seprated them into the spare cage to be safe as I was going to work and definitely didn't feel safe leaving them in the same cage un-supervised. After speaking to various people, we decided to put them into a tub with bedding etc this evening and see if they were okay together before deciding whether to try and rejoin them.

Immediately the dominant one froze and started to chase/attack the other one again so we have had to put them back into cages seperate.

Does anyone have any ideas on what has caused their relationship to change so dramatically? I am guessing that they will be separated from now but I can't help feeling sad that they will be on their own from such an early stage.

They were both pretty distressed. I have changed most of the bedding to try and get rid of the smell from the other hamster in the used cage incase that will stress him out, and made the new one as close to the other as possible.

Any other tips on how to relax them other than leave them alone except for food etc for a few days is greatly appreciated!

Hopefully they can settle into separate happy hamsters!
mickaexd is offline   Reply With Quote