View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 03:10 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Humphrey - How long to give him?

I know exactly how you feel xxx Just been in a similar situation. If he has taken some food he has not quite given up eating. If he's moved the location of his bed it could be because he has chosen his place to die and he may be about to make his journey.

This is what our Syrian did latterly. The day he moved out of his nest he refused food and I knew he was preparing to go. But he didn't go. He kept hanging on and I was worried he was suffering too, and took him to the vets in the end to be helped on his way.

How long you wait is something you need to feel your way through I think. I got ours out of the cage in the end and had him cuddled up in his blanket and he seemed peacefully sleeping (unconscious I think) but still didn't go. He may have if I had waited longer I don't know, but it was the week-end and I didn't want to wait another whole day and find he desperately needed help on a Sunday when the vets were closed.

Edit - just seen CMB's post - yes better to leave him where he is and keep him warm.

He sounds a bit like ours in that - they just try and keep going as long as possible.

I rang a vet in preparation - in case I needed to go. It's a hard one to say. I was torn between not wanting to put him through a trip to the vets in his condition and not wanting him to suffer any longer.

It does sound like it is his time. It is still early morning. Maybe keep him warm and talk to him and tell him it's ok to go and you love him and see how he is in a couple of hours xxx Vets usually have short notice/evening/Saturday appointments for things like helping them on their way, if it came to that. It would be better if he could go in his own home but see how he is in a couple of hours.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote