View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 01:57 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Not sure if i'm a good hamster dad

Avoiding unnecessary added sugars is definitely a good idea,especially with artificial sweeteners.I know that dried fruit is higher in sugar than fresh fruit,but occasional fruit isn't a bad treat as long as you're not going completely overboard feeding insane amounts that aren't appropriate!

One of my Syrian's favorite treats are Gerber baby puffs.The organic apple flavor are wonderful,and as long as you're only feeding a puff or two the sugar isn't high.A full serving of 60 pieces(which a hamster would never eat!)is still around 1 gram of sugar,but then you get a single piece that would be such a minimal amount of sugar that it wouldn't matter.

Try and keep the difference between sugar free and no sugar added in mind as well,since one can have artificial sweeteners(which are bad for everyone,hamsters and humans included)and no sugar added which in some cases can be very good.Also remember that plants all contain some sugar due to photosynthesis,so try not to be overly paranoid about sugar,but instead just be mindful of how much sugar and where that sugar comes from!

Hanging toys and premade tank lids rarely work well,unless you have your own hamster-safe string to hang them with.If you don't no what the hanging material is from a storebought toy,take that toy apart and use only the safe pieces in a remade DIY toy or several toys instead.If there is any form of chain,cotton,unsafe wood,or string that would be unstable depending on the toy(such as raffia,which is safe but not good to hang heavy things or things you don't want falling)then do not use the whole toy.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote