View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 03:22 AM  
Staceyparmesan
Newborn Pup

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies!
Had no idea about the fluff to be honest as all my friends who have had hamsters have used the fluff before. Thanks for the advice.
Haven't had any problems with the plastic house so far, I clean her out every week and any fresh food she has had she usually eats and doesn't hoard away, there's usually just seeds in there. Have been looking at other homes though. Looking for additional space for her too but getting hold of savic/ferplast tubes and accessories is a nightmare! Unless you want to spend 20 pounds on 4 tubes..
She has a silent wheel that for the moment looks about the right size for her as I read about their backs not being arched etc but rest assured I will replace it if need be! It actually broke last night whilst I was moving it, not even sure how! So going to buy a new one today, they don't make things to last these days do they
She did pee in the tubes when I first got her so we did block them up but after a week or two she was back in them, running through and eating food in there occasionally. She's actually quite well behaved and seems happy, doesn't gnaw at the bars or the plastic tube connectors like I've heard many other hamster owners mention so that's a plus.
I rarely give her fruit as I'm aware of diabetes in hamsters as I've read so much about food etc I've become obsessed in the photo she was eating a small piece of yellow pepper but her favourite is a tiny bit of curly kale

Thanks everyone for the advice and lovely messages. I'll get on the bedding situation immediately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMB View Post
Hello. What a lovely hamster. As it's your first. There are a few things you might want to know.

Dwarf hamsters can be prone to getting diabetes, so sugary treats and fruit should be avoided or given very rarely. Veg or seeds are better.

Your hamster can also have mealworms (dried) or small amounts of chicken.

Dwarf hamsters like a sand bath. Using chinchilla sand, not dust).

You may have to remove the tube and block the holes if your hamster decides to pee, hoard or sleep in the tube.

I have seen this cage and the plastic house it comes with might be better replaced with a wooden house without a base. Plastic houses get condensation on the inside and if the hamster hoards in the house the food can spoil.

The wheel nay also need replacing as your hamster gets bigger. They need to be able to run with a straight back.
Thankyou! She loves chicken and mealworms and her favourite veg is curly kale which is handy because the tortoises love it too!

Last edited by Fluffagrams; 01-28-2017 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts
Staceyparmesan is offline   Reply With Quote