View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 10:00 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Stages of Cushings Disease with illustrated pics (inc. treatment)

Such a wonderfully helpful post from Snickers thank you. Charlie (2 years 7 months Syrian) has apparently got Cushings, according to his vet. I am not so sure. He doesn't have much hair loss, but has had stiff back legs for some time and now a bloated tummy. It is supposed to be very rare in hamsters.

He is still going about his hamstery business, relining his nest and eating, but is slowed up walking by his swollen tummy and stiff back legs.

Our vet would not prescribe Metacam (I was concerned he might be in pain) because it is contra-indicated in Cushings, apparently making it worse. Which is difficult if you don't know definitely if it is Cushings or something else.

I came across an interesting theory on a dog forum that if they do have Cushings they are producing so much steroid that they are basically self-medicating in anti-inflammatories. So in some ways less need to worry about pain relief at least until later stages with signs of suffering. In Charlie's case, if it isn't Cushings I'm a bit worried about not being able to give him pain relief just in case he needs it.

Coco's vet was able to do a blood test to definitely diagnose Cushings and gave medication for it (the one used for dogs in a smaller dose). According to the Wiki on Cushings there isn't a licensed drug for hamsters so it sounds like it is at the vet's discretion and needing a very experienced vet to be able to take blood or prescribe. Charlie's vet said it wasn't possible to do a blood test. And I now don't want to cause him further stress at his age, and frailty, by further vet intervention anyway.

As it is I am supplementing his diet with things to help with joint pain (in case it isn't Cushings) like a drop of evening primrose oil a day and flax seeds (thanks to Cypher for those tips). Also burdock root and dandelion root - both are supposed to help with Cushings, kidney and liver and detox. These are actual roots which they can choose (or not) to chew on and if it isn't Cushings, are fine anyway.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote