View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 08:00 AM  
squeakylittlepaws
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Hamster keeps going into hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I wouldn't have thought it would be one of those sonic pest things really as it's not consistent enough unless a neighbour was turning it on & off all the time.
Also I think behaviour would be more obviously stressed, mice & rats run a mile from those things (I used one to get rid of a rat under my floorboards before I had hams, worked immediately!) so I think a ham would show more frantic behaviour rather than becoming lethargic.

I think what souffle said about a predisposition to go into torpor does sound more likely.

Have you noticed any correlation with her being well or in a torpor like state & light levels beckybirmingham?
I'm sure you're right. Thought came to me as I was thinking about possible triggers, as you'd mentioned with the light as being a trigger, like flashing light is to those who suffer epilepsy - etc, but I thought writing it - this is a long shot and probably not the cause.

Torpor does sound like one of the strongest contenders.

Good idea to probably make a list of all possible illnesses to ask the vet, so at least they can say - not x because hamster would also present with y - or yes that's a possibility, it could be that.