View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 04:01 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: New syrian owner needing advice please

Hello there. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Generally they need a couple of weeks to settle into the cage, so yes I'd wait a bit before changing anything. After that you could add a better house. You'll probably need to take the old one out or she might decide not to move into the new one. But you could put the new one over the top of her nest and put a bendy bridge or tunnel over the door so it tempts her inside (makes it nice and dark). I like the houses with lift off roofs for checking inside. But I think with the Grosvenor you have a shelf at one end and presumably the wheel at the other end so you'll need something that works with the cage. Maybe a house along one side that goes partly under the shelf. A lift off roof isn't essential but it means you can check inside without the nest falling apart. If she uses a litter tray then the house could stay clean and dry inside anyway. A potty litter tray is definitely worth having. Put it in the corner or place she has chosen as a toilet with some chinchilla bathing sand in and a little bit of wee'd on substrate on top so she knows it's still her toilet corner I have this one - it's easy for them to get in and out of. Then you just empty the potty every four or five days and don't need to spot clean so much. You could add that now - it's not the same as removing things or changing them around.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Houses-Ha...=hamster+potty
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote